Weeds” offers take on California life

Everyone I know has an imperialist method of shoving their favorite television shows down my throat, and as hard as I have tried to surrender and accept the atrocious series that I have been presented with, I just cannot submit to modern television.

After slaving away hours of watching “CSI” and “Two and a Half Men,” I was beginning to lose hope in humanity and television.

But alas, I was reassured when I came across “Weeds,” a quirky and unprecedented show that can only be classified as a controversial and dark-humored comedy of your average single mother who will do anything to support her family.

As a matter of fact, Nancy Botwin (Mary-Louise Parker) pays her bills by nonchalantly dealing marijuana to her suburban town of Agrestic, Calif.

While battling her two sons’ growing adolescence, her obnoxious neighbors, her dealers and the law, Nancy struggles with her own personal life as she tries to heal the wounds left behind after her husband’s sudden heart attack and death.

This series is truly the show for the masses, overflowing with hilarity, drama, action, and an escape from reality for us normal folk who don’t spend our days exchanging drugs for money.

For example, because of the new medicinal marijuana laws in California, Nancy realizes she cannot compete with businesses that sell weed for “medicinal purposes.”  Instead of giving up, she establishes her own bakery where all her cakes and muffins conspicuously contain pot. To no one’s surprise, her bakery is a popular destination for all the husbands of Agrestic to get their quick fix. It’s ironic that such a high-class community secretly is run and dominated by an illegal substance.

And although her actions seem suspect, Nancy truly shows the qualities of a responsible adult who loves her children, even if her groceries and bills are paid for in dirty money.

Rated TV-MA for obvious drug references, language, and adult content, “Weeds” has just concluded its sixth season on Showtime, and will air for the seventh and final season this fall.

If you’re tired of the cliché cop and robber shows or drama-prone doctors and nurses, take my word and check out “Weeds.”