“21 Jump Street” does not disappoint

When I walked into the movie theatres to see “21 Jump Street” I wasn’t expecting anything special or of particular quality, yet when I came back out I was still laughing and thoroughly impressed with the film, even considering coming back to see it later with more friends.

Though the film is inspired by the late 80s, early 90s series of the same name that starred Johnny Depp and Peter DeLuise as cops who go undercover as high school students, it is not at all necessary to be familiar with the show in order to understand the movie, which I may add is a complete blast.

The film stars Channing Tatum, in what I believe to be his finest role yet, and the always hilarious Jonah Hill as former high school classmates Greg Jenko, the popular yet dumb jock, and nerdy Morton Schmidt. They meet up years later at Police Academy and become best buds and eventually partners. However, as their first attempted bust fails miserably and the captains dubs them as immature, they are reassigned to a special division on, you guessed it, 21 Jump Street.

Their mission is to pose as high school students and discover the origins of a mysterious narcotic spreading around the school. Unfortunately, their identities are mixed up and Jenko ends up in AP Chemistry, trying to connect with the school nerds while Schmidt makes it into the popular crowd.

The two leads are outstanding and bounce off each other so well, making the film that much better.