Student chooses the quiet way through high school

Despite what others might see on television or hear from others about the typical teenage life, like they’re generally outgoing and rambunctious in class, but not this teen.

I don’t like it when people—especially the peers in my class—I’ve never met call me by my name. I’ve seen them before, but I don’t know their name in return, so I dread it when teachers assign group work.

How the class sees me: I am the quiet kid, the one who has no friends and usually keeps to herself, but my teachers seem to like me.

I have an uncommon name, so I find it unsettling when I hear a “stranger” say it. Somehow I feel violated. I wonder what else they know about me, like if they know what I did last Friday, but it’s safe to say I don’t have that exciting of a life, so I would be innocent.

I also feel embarrassed. I mean, they know my name and they’re polite about it, but I don’t know their name so I am just left to have them assume that I know their name.

I feel stupid if I have to introduce myself, even though I’ve been in class with them for half the school year already.

On that note, I hate public speaking. By public speaking, I mean the 20-minute Hamlet presentation I had to give for English class last week.

I know I should break out of my shell and be open with people. Last summer, I thought I was going to be a little more open, but I’ve become more of a recluse and I think I know why, but that’s a different story.

I’ll grow up eventually, but I will enjoy my solitude for now.