Peer optimistic about volleyball season

Peer optimistic about volleyball season

Despite a season with a less than perfect record, junior Jenni Peer is ready to believe that a little more practice could make perfect.
Peer, 16, just finished a third season on the CMR volleyball team, and her attitude remained optimistic since day one.
“I think it’s that every game is an opportunity to do something different, something new,” Peer said. “It’s exciting, a challenge.”
She wasn’t a full varsity player but instead was a swinger. She played during the JV games and then stepped in as a second string during some varsity games.
Peer, who also plays outfield for the CMR softball team, said it was intimidating sometimes to play with the varsity girls but she approached it as a learning experience.
“Mentally it was hard to prepare for practice and double header,” she said. “I think it was a general consensus we weren’t gonna win a lot of games, but what can we learn from these games?”
More than anything Peer felt that she was able to get a firm idea on how to achieve a better team for next year’s season. She said she hopes that next year’s team works more as a unit.
“We lacked teamwork this year,” she said. “You don’t have to be best friends, but you do have to be able to work together and be a teammate.”
Beyond the lack of support in the team, Peer felt that the lack of community support hit the team hard.
In the end, Peer’s main goal is to produce a winning season for 2011.
“We can take (the lessons of 2010) into next year and into other sports.”