Softball athletes, coaches prepare for the upcoming season

Holly Spragg, Staff Writer

CMR sports are a staple for every time of the year. One of the upcoming sports is girls softball. The athletes are preparing and with that comes an open gym.

Coach Lindsay Gustafson has a softball open gym every Monday and Wednesday from 3:30-5:00 and Sundays from 1:00-2:30 where they work on the basic softball fundamentals.

The new gym is going to be a help to many sports teams and softball is no exception.

“On Sundays we have the whole gym but we normally just have the top,” she said, “ So we mostly work on hitting and some work on throwing on the other side.” Gustafson said that they normally get warehouse to practice in but this year they did not.

“Getting in a cage is a big thing, hitting wise,” she said was what is one of the most important things for the season currently.

The softball team is coming off of an impressive two state championships and that is something that takes a lot of work.

“You want your program to successful so we have to install the winning attitude into the freshmen,” Gustafson said.

She said that right now they usually have around eight players that show up regularly and added that some are basketball players or in drivers ed.

“The kids that are there are working really hard,” she said. She added that the kids are great to work with and are all around good kids.