“Mama,” leaving audience breathless

Being afraid of the dark, or the monsters under the bed are commonly known as childhood fears, but “Mama,”  directed by awe inspiring Andres Muschietti, recreates those fears in two young adults; makng them wonder what lies beyond the closet doors.

This 100-minute movie had me on the edge of my seat and crouched down into my best friend’s lap. It’s a terrifying horror, but it also contains a deep family connection within it.

“Mama” is about a woman long deceased, who connects with her surrogate children through holes in the wall of their new home.

The characteristics of the two children, Victoria and Lily, are captured by actors Megan Charpentier and Isabelle Nelisse. During the scene where the girls are found, they did an excellent job portraying their bizarre behaviors.

Lucas (Nikolaj Coster) is the girls’ uncle. He and his girlfriend, Annabel (Jessica Chastain), plan to take the girls into care after a family member finds them in the abandoned cabin. After seven years of being left alone because of their father’s death, their characteristics and personalities are animal-like.

The scariest parts of the film were the glimpses of Mama while she is slithering around and playing with the children. When you finally see what she actually looks like, no matter how terribly scary looking she is, you start to see how much she has been through during her lifetime and become sympathetic towards Mama’s struggles.

The movie has an unexpected ending, not like any you’d see in the classic horror film. I’d call it a 4-star movie if you like the heart pounding, intense horror films that leave you breathless with fear. But remember, don’t open the closet doors.

Rated: PG-13