• Spring Break -- April 22 - 26

Boy Band — BTS

Back to Article
Back to Article

Boy Band — BTS

Stampede

Stampede

Stampede

Maggie Petersen, Staff Writer

The American music industry has been, for many years, an almost exclusive collection of various English-speaking artists. However, with the rise of social media, the physical and metaphorical walls dividing cultures have been vanquished and with them new icons have risen.

South Korean band, BTS, (otherwise known as the Bangtan Boys) has taken the American Music Industry by storm, receiving awards from the American Music Awards, Billboard Music Awards, BBC Radio1 Teen Awards, and many, many more. “Idol”, the title track of their recent album “Love Yourself: Answer”, surpassed 45 million views within the first twenty-four hours on YouTube, breaking the record set by Taylor Swift’s “Look What You Made Me Do”.

Despite their popularity in the US and many other places throughout the world, BTS’s music is sang mostly in Korean, with the exception of their new collab with Steve Aoki, resulting in the english speaking song, “Waste It On Me”. However, the language barrier has proved no challenge for BTS’s fanbase, ARMY, whom are devote to the point of receiving the iHeartRadio Music Award for Best Fan Army. As a part of this community, I can testify to the close relationship between the fans and the band members. Talk to any resident ARMY at this school, they will be able to rattle off the seven members’ stage and real names as well as fill you in on their “bias” or personal favorite.

Though, not only has BTS become popular America, but so has their Asian, particularly Korean, culture. Oftentimes other K-pop groups can be seen climbing the trending page on YouTube or even playing on the local radio. This all adds fire to the celebration of Asian culture taking place throughout the country.

In the words of BTS’s leader, Kim Namjoon, “Music and performance transcends language and countries and races.”

About the Writer
Maggie Petersen, Staff writer

Maggie Petersen is a staff writer for the Stampede newspaper. This is her first year as a journalist. However, her passion for words has blossomed over...

• Boy Band — BTS

ENTERTAINMENT

“When we all fall asleep where do we go?”

• Boy Band — BTS

ENTERTAINMENT

Best of Many – Rocky IV

• Boy Band — BTS

ENTERTAINMENT

Reexamining “Heathers”, 30 years later

• Boy Band — BTS

ENTERTAINMENT

An emotional play creates a new controversy

• Boy Band — BTS

ENTERTAINMENT

Movie Review : Phantom Thread

• Boy Band — BTS

ENTERTAINMENT

Ranking (almost) all the Best Picture Nominees

• Boy Band — BTS

Book Reviews

“Flame in the Mist”

• Boy Band — BTS

ENTERTAINMENT

My taste in music, and why it’s like that

• Book Reviews

“This is Where It Ends”

• ENTERTAINMENT

Review: “Velvet Buzzsaw”

Boy Band — BTS