Students strive for language greatness

Ashton Paley, Staff Writer

World languages not only allow students to speak a language that was previously unavailable to them,but it also opens their mind to different cultures.

CMR does not require its students to take any world language credit. Some may find that a relief, but students who wish to go on to college ought to know that many colleges require a minimum of two years, while Ivy League schools require a minimum of three.

While students may shy away from world languages due to a lack of interest or desire to learn, world languages can prove to be very useful in the long run. In a study by P. A. Eddy, it was proven that students who studied a world language consistently scored higher on the SAT in the English and mathematics sections.

Students who choose to take a world language normally only take it for two years then drop the class. Currently, there is an average of 16 students in the eight first-year Spanish classes compared to an average of 12 in the two third-year Spanish classes. That is a difference of 104 students. That means that between first year and third year there are 104 students dropping Spanish as a world language.

While some students may go on to study other world languages, some like junior Dan Bonilla, who is a third-year Spanish student, will drop them completely.

“I’m not taking fourth year Spanish because I feel that three years is enough,” Bonilla said.

Bonilla took third-year Spanish because he wanted something that would give him a leg up in the job market.

“The more of a language you take, the higher the chance that you get the job,” he said.

Spanish teacher Sara Buley believes that those who take only Spanish 1-2 do not get the full exposure to the language.

“First and second year get a sense of the language, but third year [is when they] learn how to really speak it,” she said.

World languages help you connect to the world, and because of this some students find it easier to learn a language.

“Some students find it easy for them or they fall in love with a language,” Buley said.