Staff member explores wonders of gibberish

“So how was your day?”

“Oh, you know, it was just OK. I went and talked to my teacher skublin dudle miiop olo kish blah.”

Has anyone had conversations that went kind of like this? I sure have. And although sometimes they may seem to convey no message at all, I find them very entertaining.

Call it nonsense, crazy talk, or even gibberish. Those who have never fallen back on this easy language, stop reading now.

You must be the ones who have used it. When? Why did you speak gibberish?

If you’re like me, there are a lot of reasons. Gibberish comes in handy when you get embarrassed. You could turn red in the face and run away, or you could speak gibberish.

I’m sure I’m not the only one who has started a conversation with someone I like, and then forgotten everything when looking in their eyes.  Just standing there and staring is not an option, but letting your tongue make funny noises is. Try it sometime.

Awkward silences. Love them! But what I love more is breaking those silences with a little tongue roll and a lot of letters randomly slapped together to make… words?

The funny thing is: gibberish seems to be used so commonly now that people can actually understand what it means. Maybe through paper you can’t, but when you’re standing next to someone and they suddenly drop the English can you deny that you follow them?

I don’t know how this wacky phenomenon has come to pass, but everyone knows about it. If you’re looking for a fun way to talk to someone, try gibberish; I’m sure they will understand.

Now, finally, I only have one thing left to say.

Bddurbr mino mibido nyee dur shal.