Bullying in all forms needs to end

Gun control, health care, immigration, alcohol. They’re all controversial topics. However, this one isn’t. There are no two sides, arguing whether it should be allowed or not. There is only one universal stance on the issue, and that is that it’s completely wrong.
If we all agree, one might ask, then why is it still an issue? Bullying. It’s defined as noisily domineering, or the act of intimidating a person through actions or behaviors.
Recent studies show that 77 percent of students are either mentally, verbally, or physically bullied. Eight perfect of students miss at least one day a month of school in the fear of being bullied, or just the need for a break from bullying.
Shockingly, 85 percent of people in a conducted study said that they would not intervene if they saw a fellow peer or family member being bullied. If bullying is such an undeniable flaw in the world, then why hasn’t it been stopped?
Maybe it is the lack of recognition, or maybe it is the desire for power inside of a person even through another’s pain and persecution.
Whatever it may be, it needs to end, because the results of bullying are deadly. Tyler Clementi, a freshman at Rutgers University, recently was a target of bullying. Clementi’s roommate secretly filmed him having a sexual encounter in his dorm room, and posted this video on the Internet.
Clementi jumped off the George Washington Bridge to his death after posting a Facebook status that announced his plans.
Phoebe Prince, a 15-year-old Irish girl that had moved to Massachusetts, was anoher recent victim of harassment. Horrifying rumors, cyber bullying, and judgment based on boyfriends were what drove Prince to the edge. Only a couple hours after being taunted by teenagers driving by, and having a soda-can thrown at her, Prince was found hanging in her stairwell by her little sister.
Everyone has seen and heard the motivational movies and speeches that plead with them to help end bullying. The assembly on Nov. 2 involved the effects of bullying, and Tim Bach is a prime example of a person that we as students can strive to be like. Some, if not most, people go on through their days without thinking much about what has been taught to them in such assemblies and lessons.
We at the Stampede encourage C.M. Russell students to dig a little deeper into this issue, and to truly put themselves in the shoes of others.
Margaret Mead, a famous cultural anthropologist, once said, “A small group of thoughtful people could change the world. Indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.”
It is undeniable that change is needed, and that bullying must end. We at CMR could be that “small group of thoughtful people.”