Going “back to normal” requires every individual to do their part

Grace Carr, Editor in Chief

Frustrated: this word sums up almost every thought I have had the past two weeks since the Coronavirus decided to make an appearance.

I will admit, I originally did not take this threat seriously. I knew it was deadly, I knew I needed to be as clean and sanitary as I possibly could, and I knew it would eventually hit Great Falls. However, I did not properly prepare for the life of solitude we would all be living.

It’s stressful living in a world pandemic and watching everyone handle the situation differently. No one is taking the same steps to combat this issue, yet we all believe we are doing our part.

On a positive note, it has been fascinating to watch the good coming out of the pandemic in both big and small ways. Rivers are clearing up, and wildlife is returning across the world because of the decreased waste and foot traffic. People are stepping up to help those in need during this time of crisis. I even donated a few garbage bags of clothes because I finally had time to clear out my closet.

It’s moments like these that make me smile amidst all this chaos. However, it’s not what I truly feel every day.

I am frustrated by the ignorance of those individuals in the world who are not doing their part to stop the spread of this deadly virus. Specifically the spring breakers and toilet seat-lickers I see across the internet, but also those who traveled from another highly infected city to camp out in Montana and spread it even further. 

I am also frustrated about my senior year coming to a dead end. Almost everything I was most excited about during my final year of high school has been canceled or potentially postponed: Prom, scholarship brunches, my newspaper publication, presumably graduation, etc.

I miss attending student government meetings, cheering teams on at sporting events, and even listening to a live lecture from my teachers. It’s the little things I used to take for granted that hurt the most now.

The only way we will get through this pandemic is by working together. Focusing on our individual needs is important, but not when they have the power to put someone else at risk.