• Dec. 21 - Jan.1 -- No School -- Winter Break

• The Sound of Music -7 p.m. in Bill Williamson Hall Nov.29 -Dec.1 and Dec. 6 - Dec. 8

Swimmer’s years hold memories

Hannah Pospisil, Staff writer

Senior Karissa Birdsong has bittersweet feelings about the end of her high school swimming career.

“I’m excited for the season to start, but it’s also bittersweet because it is my last season and I’ve been a part of the program for all four years,” Birdsong said.

Her favorite events are a toss-up between the 200 yard freestyle and the 50 yard freestyle. She loves the 200 yard freestyle because she can pace herself, but in the 50 yard freestyle she puts everything into a 30 second race.

She’s hoping to improve her skills this year, despite being busy with The Sound of Music rehearsals.

“I love swimming because it is definitely a good emotional outlet for me, but it also makes me feel good being active. It is a lot of work for not a lot of payoff but the swimming community is the most welcoming group of people I have ever met. Complete strangers will wish you luck and congratulate you which is a very cool experience that I’ve never seen in any other sport.” Birdsong said.

Birdsong is not positive as to whether or not she wants to swim in college or not, but she will always hold her high school swim team memories close to her heart forever.

About the Writer
Hannah Pospisil, Staff writer

Hannah Pospisil is known as a supremely chill staff writer for the Stampede. She has the best music taste of all time, and she loves writing about music...

Swimmer’s years hold memories