Sophomores take hobby to next level

School isn’t always fun, so it’s nice when the day is done to go to an area that isn’t dedicated to slaving over math problems. Clubs are for having fun with friends and for trying things you never have before. This is why sophomores Peter Anderson, Christian Perbil and Keegan Nolan decided it was their turn to make their mark on the school.

Anderson, Perbil, and Nolan run the newly created Propulsion and Aviation Design Club. They meet every Wednesday after school till 5 p.m. in the art rooms. Their reasons for why the club was created are to expand their interests and share them with others.

Having been together since grade school, the three best friends decided to finally put their favorite hobby into a school activity.

“I’ve always been interested in flying, even as a little kid,” Nolan said. “Planes are just one way to achieve it.”

Nolan, the self proclaimed “cool one” of the trio, is satisfied with hanging around and having fun with friends. His dream is to build a plane that they can throw off of the field house and fly stably with eggs as passengers. Even though they’ve just begun, he said running a club is better than starting one. There’s less stress because no one telling them what to do or set way of do things so everything they do is new and exciting.

“We’re going to over complicate the designs so we look smarter,” Nolan said.

Perbil, who had the idea to make the art rooms their home base, agrees. With art project scraps like Popsicle sticks, small chunks of wood, cardboard, construction paper, and a lot of glue, they create these models. Perbil is proud of the structures already built, but he said he is eager to start fundraising soon so they can get custom-made materials. The three work together, but Perbil has an individual goal to create a replica of a “dirigible,” or airship.

“I want this to be accurate,” Perbil said. “I need to get a good set of plans before we go large scale.”

Both Nolan and Perbil agree the club should just stay between friends, but Anderson has different ideas. He wants to make the club big, saying it would become boring without fresh competition. His plans for some of the later planes become fairly complex, some involving motors and remote controls. This club is a little more personal for Anderson, who has relatives who were pilots and grew up around flying.

“It’s more than a hobby,” he said. He hopes to one day become an aircraft engineer.

For now, though, the club is all about building planes and having fun for these three.