CMR student struggles to hold onto sanity after release of new video game

Think. How many of us have gaming systems? 98 percent? Maybe even 99 percent? The other 1-2 percent are probably those of us who still hold onto their sanity somewhat. You know why?

Because we live in a world where casting spells at each other and killing people is appropriate in our society. No, not in real life, but in video games!

I personally love video games. I wouldn’t be who I am without them, and no, I’m not an antisocial 16-year-old who lives in his basement eating Cheetos and drinking Mountain Dew all weekend.

When I get home from school (yes, I really do go to school) I have the overwhelming urge to get on my PS3 and play Skyrim or MW3, but I actually have some dignity left in me to do my homework, and then I get to go and save the world from impending doom or cast some spells.

Do you really think that video games are stupid? Well, you’re probably right. But we still play them anyway, right? Why is that?

I think it’s because we live our dream lives inside the little CD’s that cost $50 at the local Wal-Mart and people treat them better than their own kids. I will admit. I would give anything, and I mean ANYTHING if I could live in the world of Skyrim.

To be able to fight dragons and become a full-fledged wizard would be the life. But all we have to do is hit the save button, and wait for about 14 hours until we have the moment of joy when the beep signals the “Power On” of our Xbox’s or PS3’s.

What I love about video games is when the new ones come out that everyone wants. Like when MW3 came out? That was so cool to see all the people lined up at 7 p.m. waiting for the midnight release, (though I wasn’t there). I don’t know why, but I believe that’s commitment, though some of our parents don’t see why, and think all we care about in life is prestiging, and they may be right, but that’s not the point.

But when Skyrim came out, I wanted that game from the start. I’ve played the previous Elder Scrolls games and I was instantly in love *play cheesy love song in the background*.

So if you’re looking for some detachment from the outside world, (and if your sanity is still in tact) you should definitely check out some of the new games, like Mass Effect 3, Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood, or Skyrim (Fus Roh DAH!!) or if you’re looking for some retro games out on the market, you should check out Super Mario Galaxy 2, Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, or, one of my all-time favorites, Minecraft.

So until next time, I bid you good morrow, this Potion of Magicka, and this iron sword. Have fun!