Students preparing for district music festival

Each spring choir, band, and orchestra students prepare and brace themselves for two brutal days of music, otherwise known as District Music Festival. This year it is scheduled for April 19-20. All high school students from the district ready themselves to perform in front of audiences and judges for a score.

For junior Jessa Thompson three times is the charm because that’s how many times she is singing for the music festival.

“I’m singing with Chanteur, a solo and a duet with sophomore Alex Marks,” Thompson said. The first day of district features all the main groups at the high schools, and the second day is spent with ensembles and solos. Thompson is taking voice lessons and spending extra time with her duet partner to practice during the week, she said.

“My favorite part would probably have to be meeting new people from different schools and seeing old friends from middle school,” she said. Thompson has participated in district music festival before and thought it was really fun.

“I’m not too nervous this year. Last year I had a solo. I was really nervous. But I got through it and my judicator told me that I did amazing,” she said.

When performing at district the judges score musicians on many aspects of music, including posture, voice and projection. A 1 is the best score, and if a person receives a 1 they go to state, where they compete and are judged at a higher level.