Football team dealing with high temps, dehydration

Photo by unknown

During the Sept. 5 practice, freshmen Scott Lobaugh, left, and Chance Schoonover take a break to get a drink. The high fall temperatures have made staying hydrated an important issue for all CMR athletes.

With temperatures reaching the 90’s, and football players outside practicing almost every day, players and coaches alike are realizing the impact of dehydration and the importance of water breaks.

Senior Colton Philp, a safety, sees the significance of staying hydrated.

“[I] carry a water bottle with me and not even think[ing] about it, just constantly sip on it all day,” he said.

Players have found their own way of staying hydrated.

“Everyone has their own way—there’s not really a standard,” Philp said.

Intro to health occupations teacher Teayre Klosterman is able to recognize when players have become dehydrated.

“[Dehydration] makes a person lethargic, dizzy and they can have problems with sight,” she said.

Klosterman describes dehydration as “when the body does not have enough fluid to circulate the blood. It makes the body unable to work, essentially,” she said.

She said that practices are not the major time for seeing the effects of dehydration. Games are.

“[We see it] more during the games when they’re sweating more and burning more electrolytes, which causes them more problems,” she said.

Klosterman offers this advice to athletes: “Have a proper diet, make sure they’re drinking enough water and staying away from caffeine, because it will dehydrate them.”

CMR’s varsity defense coach and psychology teacher Brian Greenwell has also noticed the effect the heat has had on players.

“We have one scheduled water break, but they can get water any time they need it,” Greenwell said.

Though only one water break is scheduled, coaches often have players get drinks after drills.

“We may say go grab a drink real quick after certain drills, just to make sure they have water in their system,” he said.

The football program has implemented the two platooning system.

“We have a group of guys that play offense and a group of guys that play defense,” he said. This system is in place to ensure that not all the same players are always out on the field.

“A lot of schools are not able to do that. They have to play the same kids all the time. If you do that you’re going to run into problems,” he said.

Though not having enough water can have a negative effect, Philp said,”Make sure you’re hydrated and you’re good to go.”