2021 graduate aims to help his community

Tenaya Gaines, Russellog Editor

Senior Taylor Willmarth has accomplished more than the average high school student in the past four years he’s spent at CMR. Willmarth was a member of the TIAH mental health awareness club, played trombone in the band for three years, held the position of senator in the student government, participated in the Leadership High School program, and was a member of the Stampede journalism staff, among many other things. Willmarth’s involvement in the school’s extracurriculars made his high school experience deeply rewarding for him.

“I have had a good time, and I can definitely say that I have made the most of my time here. I never imagined that I would be Homecoming prince, let alone two years in a row. I have found my place and my people in the journalism room and playing in the band. I will miss going to the basketball and football games… there’s definitely something about that Friday-night feeling,” he said.

Not only was Willmarth active in his school, but he truly dedicated his time to his community. He started and facilitated the local Montana Youth Action group, which allowed him to focus on aiding students in becoming politically active in the community. 

“I enjoyed my work with Montana Youth Action because I know that I was able to make a difference for others, and I’m a big supporter of political literacy among youth,” he said.

Willmarth was strategic throughout his high school career as to prepare him for his future by being a part of relevant classes and programs. 

“I’ll be attending the University of Montana to study journalism and political science, which I have perfectly set myself up for over the past few years,” he said. “I’m excited to continue to be involved with my Montana community and to help change lives in the areas that are important to me,” Willmarth said.

As he closes out his final year of high school, he looks back fondly on his experiences and friendships, and he wants future graduates to do the same. His main advice is to stay involved and get outside of one’s comfort zone.

“Find your people and try new things. My favorite experiences had everything to do with the people I encountered. I will be friends for life with many of them,” he said. 

He felt that over his high school years he made a positive impact on his school and those around him. 

“I want people to remember me as someone who did a lot for the community.”